Friday, December 4, 2020

Book Review: In High Cotton by Ane Mulligan

 


 
In High Cotton by Ane Mulligan
Love the time frame of 1940's and if I had to choose that's the era I'd go back to.
Book starts with praise from others, acknowledgements,  and dedication.
Story starts out with Maggie (Magnolia) and she's with her son Barry and they are on their way to the store.
She is the owner as her spouse who died left it to her, NOT his family. Over time we learn of more details and things add up quickly as to the mysteries that arise.
Love the idea that she's a writer and getting paid to do so. When things get tight she sends her jewelry to her sister in the city to sell. Duchess shows up with the money and also news of her spouse...
They are very religious and have many friends they can count on for help.  Love the ideas of how to get more to come to the store to buy things.
Gems I found in this book really do work, love the cleaning and untangling solutions!
Story grabbed my attention as I hurried to do my chores so I could finish reading. 
Mishaps and how she founds out who was stealing from the store leads to more problems as the store is then broken into. Many more clues pile up as things just go so wrong, but then because of her faith in God other things go so well for them.
Pinkie is a glow of light in their darkness and others rally to help.
Sadie is a huge help when needed and she's always around. Love how they and Mr. Wade-Maggie's spouse best friend are there for them when others try to take advantage of the women.
Black eye, in a fight. I had to ask my spouse about his first one and he's used to me asking him off the wall questions from something I read in a book. Thanks for this conversation piece I'll treasure mine forever.
Such strong women with strong faith and beliefs.
Hope you can also find your own gems in this story. Besides the story there are also recipes at the end and 'how to' section of tips and tricks.
I received this review copy from the author and this is my honest opinion.


No comments: