Echoes of Fortune: The Search for Braddock's Lost Gold Book 1 of 3: Echoes of Fortune by David R Leng
Love this book. It encompasses so many of the pieces I was missing to the full story.
Love how the book alternates chapters with the 1755's to the current days where the search for the gold goes on.
Story starts with Jack and he's doing his daily guiding tours of the local area. When I found out where it was really located a light came on: Greg (my spouse) brother was asst AG in this area, a sheriff and a guide himself on Deep Creek Lake. He also had a job as security at the mountain where they do snow tubing. When I mentioned that to the author he knew the exact name of what I was talking about. So realistic to be reading about the gold search and roads in the area I've traveled on myself.
Jack gets a call about an alert to more clues of gold searching. He meets up with Emma from the Smithsonian and their tech friend Steve. There are more clues as they read journals and letters from the commander to his wife and children while fighting the war.
With clues from others in the area there are more things for them to consider and investigate.
What I love about this story is the history of the war itself, what roads they traveled and what they were doing, strategy wise and what worked and what did not work.
Story also follows the trio as they do actual diving for places that might be where the gold was buried. There are clues but also warning signs.
SO much action, adventure, treasures, travel, story is NOT left with a cliff hanger, troops stories of where they placed the gold and how they are able to protect it, who's following them, others who know some of the story and have gotten injured... problems and solutions, the maps, meetings with locals who have clues, something for everyone.
Sally is a new addition to the trio but they like her and her work at the local museum.
I felt like I got to know the group from the start reading this book, and how they all work together. It just synchronizes smoothly.
There are scary and romantic parts along with some fun and weird things that strike them at different times.
During the dives I felt as if I was breathing along with them, seeing what they saw, the feelings, darkness and smells of the area. Everything is SO very descriptive.
Marked this as my best book of the year because of all the things I learned about an area I've traveled through and it's a super great story. Author has put a lot of time into this story and it's just fascinating to read it, digest it, inhale it. The appendices at the end have so much more information about his resources if you want to learn more about this legend.
Be sure to get a copy for yourself and a friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment