Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Book Review: Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey

 




Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey
Wow what a story. Had attended an online podcast where he read a few pages of this book, and podcast was about the new Lincoln car, it's features and charities.
For attending I did receive a free hardbound book of Green Lights. From the very beginning I went from scared to laughing out loud and repeated many times.
Scary when his mother grabbed a knife and was going after the father,  til he squeezed ketchup on her til she gave up.  I found the episodes of various scenes to be very honest, soul searched and down right entertaining.
At times I felt like I was on Saturday Night Live for a skit. Love the author narrating his own story, he emotions come through as he raises his voice in preaches and bumper sticker warning phrases.
The speed of his voice really entrapped my attention also as I come from the northeast and we talk wicked fast.
There is so much to this story and I love how he calls his mom at times and she doesn't go along with what he's telling her but then a few minutes later she calls and asks for a redo of their last conversation.
Love the relationships he has and learned so much about his life in general. Have watched him in a few movies and can't wait to catch the others.
Best first book of the year for me, will be one of my top picks.
Some of the sentences are about 4 lines long, reminding me of 'Alice's restaurant' song with all the lyrics and very long lines, LOL
So many connections, especially the movie in Newport, RI as I was there for court one day while they taped in the immediate area.
So honest and open.

No comments: