Friday, October 31, 2014

Books read Oct 31




There was a cold lady who swallowed some snow by  Lucille Colander
Love this kids book especially for those who do not get a lot of snow. It starts out with a woman who swallows some snow and then other items.
I only listened to the story, I had no pictures in front of me. Sounds like a great story and questions you can ask the child before things happen on next pages asking what the child knows by looking at the picture.
Love the elements, snow, pipe, coal, hat and a stick and a scarf.  Love all the rhyming words as well, makes this a silly story for any child. You do find out at the end why she did what she did....
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).



Trains and Lovers by Alexander Smith
Various stories from people who share the train and their life experiences.
Loved the travel each had described and loved the jobs of a few of them: fisherman who lost his oar and the one who had picked up the steam train in a art setting where trains had not even been invented when the painting had been finished.
I have done both things and felt a bond.  Didn't care much for the travel to and in Australia, just no bond for me there, seems like such a foreign country with the culture.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).



Why Mars and Venus collide: improving relationships by understanding how men and women cope differently with stress by john gray
Love the series and know I will gain a lot of knowledge from this one even if some of the problems don't relate to me directly.
Lot of technical information about the parts of the brain and in each how they effect us.
So much hormone discussions and how to achieve the highest level possible and what actions you can take to help yourself and your spouse.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).

Blind Spot by Robert Parker/ Reed Coleman
Love this series and I can just picture this as a movie being played by Tom Selleck as Jessie Stone.
This one involves a woman who was killed at one of the mansions and we are given clues to try to figure out who really killed her.
There is another story during this where an old friend shows sexual interest in Jesse and she has ulterior motives to gain information from him for someone.
Love the twists and turns.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus by John Gray
Love the series of books as I find some parts of it directly relate to what I'm going through or have recently solved on my own.
My problems are put into his words with solutions that will work for everybody.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).



Four Friends by Robyn Carr
This is the story of 4 friends who live near one another and have for years as their lives have progressed through various stages of love and relationships.
The past events have come to light for some that lead them to upheaval.
Like especially the friendship of the woman who run every day, their lives as they do all they can for their families. Teens dealing with drugs, drinking and their parents breakups along with date rape that brings the parents together to deal with it.
Follows the spouses side to the stories as well as you get a well rounded opinion and can select a side to stick with.
Liked the confrontations and how they were handled.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).



Against the Tide, the fate of the New England fisherman by Richard Adams Carey
Love hearing how the fisher people survive. Risky and arduous work and the reasons why the industry is declining.
This is about a story where the man is followed as he goes from company to yet another over the years, each a different fish industry.
Love learning how the trades are done. Politicians and rules and regulations come to light to help me understand what happened to the downfall of the industry.
Especially like the stats that bring it all together.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).


A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote
Fruitcake weather and a nice warm memory of why it's made and with who.
His cousin Mrs. Falk is remembered fondly. Detailed descriptions of the scenes as they are brought into the picture.
I can just imagine the smells as the baking starts. He's only 7 and she's in the 60's.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).





Delilah's Daughters Angela Benson
After her husband dies she struggles on to make her three daughters strong and keep them together as a singing group.
Each want the fame and fortune and deals are talked about but they'd leave some of the group out of the loop.
The past catches up with them as time goes on and their careers are on different paths.
Lots of twists and turns as things are revealed from the past. Easy to keep the characters straight. good read.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).




Pearls by Celia Brayfield
Story starts out with the pearls and they have been examined and the results are told to Catherine, the Mona Lisa of Wall Street and her sister Monty, the rockstar have lost their father and pearls have magically shown up under their pillows.
Love the clues of the pearls themselves....they hire a PI to find out why their father killed himself.
The story then goes back to when James, their father was alive and his wife would rarely spend time together, but he was heavily involved in the girls education, even when Monty got caught smoking.
Liked antics of the girls while attending boarding school with nuns teaching them...
Gets a bit confusing at times as the story follows the older days of the father growing up and the kids in their lifes growing up.
They find many secrets as the story goes back to reveal them. They find ways to get out of how society has placed them in their roles.
Like the story especially the world wide travel and facts about the pearls, xrays and what the rings mean... book was over 24 hours listening to the tapes.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).
 

No comments: