Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Books read Nov 4

 


Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears a West African Tale
This audio book starts out with an iguana and a mosquito talking about the yams the farmer was digging.
Snake then approaches the iguana, then goes into the rabbit hole. Love the animals and their sounds as the parade of animals continues.
Lion calls a meeting and he gets down to the problems....
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).


The House that Jack Built, a Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme
Children's book that I was able to listen to. I can just imagine the pictures of the things that are in the house that Jack built.
In the audio version the item is announced prior to describing the page and what is happening.
 I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).



Bumps in  the Night by Harry Allard
This audio book is about Dudley who tried many different ways to get to sleep to no avail.
He heard a lot of different noises and then heard a sound that was not at all like anything he had heard before. The sound turned the tv on and then off.
bumping up the stairs, smack, it touched his beak and then ran back into bed. He saw the white thing going back down the hall.
The other chapters are when he goes to his friends and ask their opinions about what it could be... One tells him to talk to a median who will talk to the ghost to find out what they want...
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).


Best Book of Riddles Puns and jokes by Bryon Cunningham
Over 1000 on this audio tape that will delight a child of any age.
So many topics of interest are lumped together. One of my favorite was the ones about elephants.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).



Flour Spectacular recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery and Cafe Joanne Chang
This book sounded like something I wanted to try. The tips are the beginning are priceless and exactly what I needed to hear about as I am contemplating making my own pumpkin pies for the holidays this year.
Problem is I have to keep the crust low sodium and low fat but just hearing the tips of blind baking and tempering a mixture are so most helpful. Creaming and putting eggs in, never knew there was a chemical reaction taking place before you mix them together.
Lots of different topics to keep you busy in the kitchen for months.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).



On the Rocks by Erin Duffy
This story is about Abby and she's shopping with her best friend Grace for wedding dress. Problem is in today's society and the onslaught of Facebook she finds out her fiance is single before she finds out.
So much of their lives are out in the world, on the net. Grace wants to get Abby out of her slump and they head to Newport, RI to spend the summer by the sea...Love the descriptions of the area as I live nearby and treasure my time at the sea.
Hate to realize how much Facebook has played a life in some people's life as we tend to get away from it, being just a gossip column and so intrusive. Same with google searches to find out if the one you're dating, all about their past...
Abby finds a part time job and meets up with other locals who drink nightly-to keep busy while Grace works in the city during the week.
Funny at times to hear of the bachelorette parties at the bar and the dates Abby goes on. She continues to hear from Ben, her intended...
Beginning of each chapter has a blurb/saying about something big in the chapter, that is usually very funny. Her sister gets married and that whole nightmare but she continues to date ...
Enjoyed the author I will seek out her other works.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).


Consumer Reports Oct 2014
Lots of interesting articles that I need help in deciding about in the very near months.
Generators is one of them and how to stay warmer this winter.
Love all the tips of where to shop, money off due to your age and what days to shop at what stores.
Tech things such as digital wallets, flu shots, wearables, Mercury in fish, winter weather: heat prices, windows, duct work,
generators, heaters, blu ray players, irons and much more. love the tips!
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).




Windows 8 for seniors and dummies
One of our new PC's has windows 8 and it's so different than the other versions so I figure i will need to learn it even though there's not much I'd be using on it.
Very useful information if you are able to do what they say while listening to the tape at the same time.
Like how there are three different methods for inputting information. My problem is linking everything to a Microsoft email account, which I don't want to do on this pc as it won't be home for long.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Device).

No comments: