Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Book Review: Save Me Twice by E. A. Dustin

 





Save me Twice: Based on a true WWII story by E.A. Dustin
Have read quite a few stories about the war overseas, mostly in France so this was a very educational story for me, learning from the German side of things.
Excellent story teller as I found I felt like I was right there, the details are so clear and descriptive.
The details of the relationships are like being family, some are very close to one another and look out for each other through the years and through the war.
Story starts out where the family is all together and one night the knock on the door takes the boys away.  Some are together and others with the neighbor boys are taken to a different location
I had never heard of the tattoos the boys received under their arms. Learned so much more than I ever thought there was to learn. Sad when I heard of other days when they had to dig out the trenches and the troops on the move and them being out in the open.
Really sad hearing they had no real food to eat on a daily basis. I could feel the excitement when they reached the US POW camps. Like the stats at the end of all those that died, were tortured, etc
Amazing how some got to reunite with their neighbors. Sad to hear not all the brothers made it back home.
Like the up to date in the USA where Karl has a medical emergency and coming to find out the relation his doctor there is to a neighbor boy he grew up with. If only they had reunited.
Powerful story, so glad I got a chance to read this one!
Book ends with footnotes explained and references and note from the author as to how this book came into being. 
Received this review copy from the author and this is my honest opinion. 

No comments: