Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Feb 6, 2024 The Women by Kristin Hannah

  

 
The Women by Kristin Hannah
This story hit home with me. I recall sitting with my brother and his friends as they listened to the radio where they were drawing dates and if you date came up you were going to be drafted.  Didn't realize what this all was about as I was only 12. This book opened my eyes to so much.
Story starts out with the party for her brother as he’s heading to fight a war in Vietnam. We soon learn of her social life and how it makes her think that she can help in her own way.
She becomes a combat nurse and is in the swing of things, in th emiddle of the war. She has two other besties, Ethel and .....  who bail her out from time to time. She has some romances but she meets her brothers best friend Rye there also. She knows he's NOT engaged. 
As she extends her tour she does make it back after we learn how she was kept busy with the villages and men who came in wounded.  Back in the US she was not treated as a returning veteran. Also she did not see combat she suffered what the soldier had experienced first hand.
Her life is a mess and she tries many different things, just not being herself. Her mother helps with pills but that doesn't work either.  Through more difficult times for her she finally comes out of her misery with help and rehab and love how it all turns out. SO many secrets and she was just naive, to even see what was right in front of her.
Very hard book for me to read, had tears in my eyes at many times when I'd recall my brothers and his friends that didn't get to go there.
Received this review copy from St. Martins Press via Netgalley and this is my honest opinion.
#KristinHannah #NetGalley. 


 

No comments: